April 12, 2023

5 of the Biggest Distractions on the Road

April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month

As the 2023 road trip season approaches, people are getting ready to hit the road and take a vacation. If you are one of the millions of travelers packing up to head out, be careful. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), distracted driving accidents claim over 3,000 lives a year.

According to an Erie Insurance survey, 56% of respondents said they plan on traveling more than 100 miles from home. The vast majority (80%) said they will travel by car, SUV or truck.

When asked what distracts them the most while driving, here's a list of the top five distractions:

  1. Things outside the window – Also called "rubbernecking." The typical example includes staring out the window while passing a car accident at a slow speed.
  2. Passengers – Nearly half the respondents (44%) said they are distracted by other passengers in their vehicle when driving. Of those, 40% say children distract them the most, followed by a spouse or significant other.
  3. Cell Phones – While more than one-third (35%) answered that they never use their phone while driving, the remaining 65% admitted to a variety of activities such as using GPS and making and receiving calls.
  4. Trying to eat or drink – Nearly twice as many males (23%) are most distracted by trying to eat or drink compared to females (13%).
  5. The radio or music playing – Face it, you've rocked out to your favorite jam behind the wheel. And apparently so has 6% of our survey respondents.

The definition of distracted driving is really any activity that takes your attention away from the road and the primary task of driving. So, this road trip season, be mindful of your activities and where your attention should be at all times.

Copyright 2023 Erie Insurance Group. All rights reserved. From https://www.erieinsurance.com.

To view all articles, check out the Internet Travel Monitor Archive