September 19, 2023
Air Passenger Travel Between the United States and Europe Up 13% in August 2023
Data recently released by the National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) show that in August 2023:
U.S.-international air traffic passenger enplanements totaled:
- 23.418 million in August 2023, up 17.0% compared to August 2022, with enplanements reaching 95.7% of pre-pandemic August 2019 volume.
Originating Non-Stop Air Travel in July 2023
- Non-U.S. citizen air passenger arrivals to the United States from foreign countries totaled:
- 5.431 million in August 2023, up 21.3% compared to August 2022.
- This represents 86.5% of pre-pandemic August 2019 volume.
On a related note, overseas visitor arrivals totaled 3.341 million in August 2023, the sixth consecutive month overseas visitor arrivals exceeded 2.0 million. August overseas visitor arrivals reached 82.2% of pre-pandemic August 2019 volume, up from 78.4% in July 2023.
- U.S. citizen air passenger departures from the United States to foreign countries totaled:
- 5.713 million in August 2023, up 16.1% compared to August 2022 and exceeding August 2019 volume by 7.5%.
World Region Highlights in August 2023 (APIS/I-92 arrivals + departures)
- Total air passenger travel (arrivals and departures) between the United States and other countries were led by Mexico (3.184 million), Canada (2.859 million), the United Kingdom (2.119 million), Germany (1.073 million), and the Dominican Republic (1.012 million).
- International regional air travel to/from the United States:
- Europe totaled 7.571 million passengers, up 12.9% over August 2022, and down only (-8.3%) compared to August 2019.
- South/Central America/Caribbean totaled 5.555 million, up 15.3% over August 2022, and up (7.7%) compared to August 2019.
- Asia totaled 2.321 million passengers, up 67.7% over August 2022, but still down (-34.8%) compared to August 2019.
- Top U.S. Airports serving international locations were New York (JFK) 3.524 million, Los Angeles (LAX) 2.137 million, Miami (MIA) 2.022 million, Newark (EWR) 1.559 million, and San Francisco (SFO) 1.407 million.
- Top Foreign Airports serving U.S. locations were London Heathrow (LHR) 1.721 million, Toronto (YYZ) 1.088 million, Cancun (CUN) 1.060 million, Paris (CDG) 843,000, and Mexico City (MEX) 718,000.
Copyright 2023 International Trade Administration. All rights reserved. From https://www.trade.gov.
To view all articles, check out the
Internet Travel Monitor Archive