January 12, 2021
Covid-19 Changed Everything about Travel Last Year, According to Travel Insurance Data
Almost one year following the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, the travel landscape is still unrecognizable from years past. Using data from trips booked in 2020, travel insurance comparison website, Squaremouth.com, reports that almost everything about travel has changed.
Average Traveler Age Drops
Squaremouth reports the average age of their travelers has dropped, likely due to the high-risk nature of older travelers who contract Covid-19.
Popular Destinations Make Caribbean Shift
- In 2019, the average traveler age was 50. By the end of 2020, this dropped to 38 due to a drastic dropoff in older travelers.
- Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Baby Boomer generation insured by far the most trips. Now, younger Gen Xers comprise the highest demographic.
- Of their total travel share, Squaremouth reports growth in every age group under 60, while every age group over 60 saw a decline from last year.
Widespread international border closures have drastically changed where Americans are traveling.
Travelers Spend Less on Trips
- Prior to Covid-19, international trips comprised 90% of all travel. In the 10 months following, this has dropped to 67%.
- European countries once ruled travel bookings, comprising up to 45% of all trips. Following international travel bans, Americans are remaining closer to home, with European trips accounting for less than 10% of travel going into 2021.
- Caribbean countries that remained open to US tourists skyrocketed in popularity. Of the 20 most popular international destinations post-Covid, seven are Caribbean islands.
Refundable bookings and other travel deals may contribute to the lower cost of travel following the Covid-19 pandemic. Squaremouth reports a steady decrease in trip costs being insured since January of last year.
- Following the pandemic, the average trip cost being insured has dropped by 13%.
- By the end of 2020, travelers were spending roughly $1,600 less on travel than in the months immediately preceding the pandemic.
Copyright 2021 Squaremouth. All rights reserved. From https://www.squaremouth.com.
To view all articles, check out the
Internet Travel Monitor Archive