International Passenger Trips Increased 70% vs. January 2022
Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) has released data showing total passenger trips settled by ARC in January 2023 increased 46% year over year to 24 million. The results include a 70% increase in international trips and a 34% increase in domestic trips.* ARC-accredited travel agency air ticket sales totaled $8.4 billion in January, a 128% year-over-year increase.
The average U.S. round-trip air travel ticket price was $528 in January, a 0.6% decrease from December 2022 ($531).
Month over month, January 2023 results showed:
- Total sales were up 52%.
- Total passenger trips increased 47%.
- U.S. domestic trips increased 50%.
- International trips increased 44%.
“January had the highest number of settled international trips and second-highest sales that we’ve seen in three years,” said Steve Solomon, chief commercial officer at ARC. “While there remains some uncertainty about the global economic outlook, we believe that 2023 represents the ‘next normal’ for the industry and we can move beyond 2019 comparisons and focus on the future.”
Ancillary sales increased 183% year over year to $20,367,582. Ancillary transactions increased 142% to 333,815 over the same period.**
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending January 31, 2023, from 10,485 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- The average ticket price (USD) is for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked bags, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
Copyright 2023 Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC). All rights reserved. From https://www.arccorp.com.