May 31, 2023

Majority of Hotel Guest Spending Comes Outside of Room Rate

Top Categories for On-Site Spending Include Lodging, Gaming, Food and Beverage

A new analysis from the American Hotel & Lodging Association and Oxford Economics found that more than half of U.S. hotel guest spending comes outside of lodging accommodations.

According to the analysis, 31% of all spending by U.S. hotel guests is on lodging, with the other 69% being spent on transportation, food and beverage, and other goods and services. This means that for every $100 spent on lodging, $220 is going toward non-hotel-room spending.

Neptune Pool

Neptune Pool

Neptune Pool

The majority of U.S. guest spending occurs outside of the hotel, which accounts for 53% of total guest spending compared to 47% of it occurring on-site, the analysis states.

The top categories for on-site spending are lodging, gaming, and food and beverage, which account for 67%, 14% and 13%, respectively. Off-site spending is a more even split between categories, with transportation leading the way at 42% of all spending, and food and beverage, recreation, and retail and other trailing behind at 22%, 18% and 18%, respectively.

Copyright 2023 CoStar Group. All rights reserved. From
By Trevor Simpson and Rachel Daub, Hotel News Now.

To view all articles, check out the Internet Travel Monitor Archive