Expedia survey reveals the top trends and destinations for post-pandemic honeymooners
New findings from Expedia® reveal that honeymoons are the next big thing poised for a post-pandemic glow-up. A recent study conducted by Expedia found that an astounding 97% of honeymoon plans were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, with nearly every couple forced to cancel, pare down or postpone their post-nuptial trips over the last two years. Now, with an estimated 4.7 million weddings expected to take place in 2022-20232, lovebirds are embracing a bigger and better way to honeymoon.
Top trends uncovered by the Expedia survey, which polled 1,500 couples, include:
Honeymoon checklists include romance and relaxation
- Trips instead of toasters: 65% are more likely to add a honeymoon fund to their wedding registry, prompted by the pandemic to prioritize their once-in-a-lifetime trip over traditional registry items.
- Mega-moons: More than half (53%) plan to spend more on their honeymoons than they originally budgeted and 59% are more interested now in going to a bucket list destination.
- Duo-moons: 83% of those in a relationship are planning a "duo-moon" or multiple honeymoons, such as a quick trip immediately following the wedding and an extended trip later.
- Redo-moons: 54% of married couples are not completely satisfied with the honeymoon they took during the pandemic and want a "do-over."
After the stress of postponed plans, many couples are looking forward to enjoying some R&R during their honeymoons. According to the survey, the most popular itinerary includes an all-inclusive resort (45%), romantic activities such as hot air balloon rides or sunset boat cruises (54%) and pampering (52%).
However, couples are split on the type of destination they desire, with beach and tropical destinations (19%) scarcely more popular than a multi-destination trip (18%), city escape (16%) or national park visit (15%).
The top sought-after honeymoons to take in 2022
Expedia polled couples on where they would most like to go for their post-pandemic honeymoon and the results were all over the map, in the best way possible.
- United Kingdom: A multi-city itinerary exploring Scotland and England by train
- Dubai: Straddle the line of beach and big city luxury
- Paris: Honeymoon in the most romantic place in the world
- Florida: A Florida honeymoon two ways in Palm Beach or Surfside, Miami
- Los Angeles: How to enjoy La La Land as newlyweds
- Spain: A fairytale honeymoon through Madrid and Seville
- Italy: La dolce vita in Rome, Naples and the Amalfi Coast
- St. Lucia: The clear waters, lush rainforests and Pitons are calling
- Iceland: Choose your own adventure exploring Iceland
- Maldives: Check private island living off the bucket list
Copyright 2022 Expedia, Inc., an Expedia Group company. All rights reserved. From https://expedia.com.