U.S. airlines and foreign airlines serving the U.S. carried 398 million systemwide (domestic and international) scheduled service passengers in 2020, 62% fewer than in 2019 when the record high of 1.1 billion annual passengers was reached.
- Systemwide: 398 million passengers, down 62% from 2019 (1,053M)
- Domestic: 336 million passengers, down 59% from 2019 (812M)
- International: 63 million passengers, down 74% from 2019 (242M)
Systemwide passengers are those on all U.S. scheduled airline flights (domestic & international) and foreign airline flights to and from the U.S. Domestic passengers are those on flights from one U.S. airport to another U.S. airport. International passengers are those on flights between a U.S. airport and a foreign airport.
U.S. airlines passengers in 2020
- Systemwide: 369 million, down 60% from 2019 (927M)
- Domestic: 336 million, down 59% from 2019 (812M)
- International* (to and from the U.S.): 34 million, down 71% from 2019 (115M)
*Includes flights from one foreign point to another foreign point (48,512 passengers in 2020)
Foreign airlines passengers in 2020
Table 1A. Annual Passengers on U.S. Airlines and on Foreign Airlines’ U.S. Flights 2019-2020
- International to and from the U.S.: 29 million, down 77% from 2019 (126M)
in millions (000,000)
Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics, T-100 Market
||To and from U.S.
This annual release includes data on U.S. airlines scheduled domestic and international service, including from one foreign point to another foreign point (48,512 passengers), and foreign carrier scheduled service to and from the U.S. BTS monthly air traffic releases include data on U.S. carrier scheduled service only.
Airlines with Most Passengers in 2020
U.S. Airports with Most Passenger Boardings in 2020
- Systemwide: Southwest Airlines (68M)
- Domestic: Southwest (67M)
- International: American Airlines (9M)
- Foreign airline to and from the U.S.: Volaris (Mexico) (2M)
Table 1B. 2020 Passengers on U.S. and Foreign Airlines by Origin and Destination
- Systemwide: Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International (21M)
- Domestic: Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International (19M)
- International: New York John F. Kennedy (4M)
in millions (000,000)
Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics, T-100 Market (All Carriers)
* Foreign carriers do not report to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics on flights without a U.S. origin or destination
Copyright 2021 Bureau of Transportation Statistics. All rights reserved. From https://www.bts.gov.