GetYourGuide shares survey results on travelers' behavior, concerns and needs
Leading travel booking platform GetYourGuide.com, announced today the results of a new survey—aimed at uncovering what 'unforgettable' experiences mean to U.S. travelers in today's world—which revealed consumers are in search of authentic experiences, avoiding tourist traps when planning itineraries and opting for domestic destinations in 2022.
The report's results found common themes among those planning to travel and book experiences in 2022. Notable highlights include:
Travelers are going out of their way to avoid tourist traps
As many seasoned travelers know, popular destinations can often include 'tourist traps,' identified by survey respondents as attractions lacking in authenticity – inaccurately claiming to be unique and exclusive – with inflated prices, long lines, and/or large crowds. These 'traps' may act as a barrier for travelers when creating their travel itineraries, leading some to change plans or avoid a destination altogether.
Travelers are craving to explore new and unforgettable experiences in their own backyard
- Two out of three (67%) travelers feel they have experienced tourist traps that led to inauthentic experiences.
- More than two-thirds of travelers (68%) say they've decided against visiting an attraction or excursion because they were concerned it was a tourist trap, while four out of ten travelers (41%) say they've avoided a destination altogether due to concerns of tourist traps.
On average, U.S. travelers take around 3½ leisure trips per year, and this year, many (55%) Americans are planning to spend their time off within the U.S., opting for beach getaways (44%) and road trips (36%). Among those with 2022 travel plans:
Travelers are valuing the 'who' in addition to the 'where'
- Two-thirds of travelers say that experiencing new and different things (66%), as well as feeling recharged and relaxed (66%) are the main goals of their vacations.
- Most travelers plan to go sightseeing (42%) and partake in family-friendly activities (39%).
- Travelers ranked favorable prices (54%), having a wide range of activities and experiences (34%) and avoiding big crowds (34%) as top priorities when booking travel experiences.
- The top priorities for travelers are having a sense of freedom (38%) and taking part in authentic experiences (37%).
Whether it is enjoying a new city's culinary scene, hiking the Grand Canyon or swimming with sharks, most travelers agree that it's the people they travel with that contribute to making an experience 'unforgettable.' Among the open-text comments requested in the survey, respondents echoed the importance of family, friends and loved ones when creating lasting memories.
- Close to two-thirds (58%) of travelers feel that creating beautiful memories with loved ones contribute to making a travel experience unforgettable, while four out of ten of travelers (38%) say that learning about the history of different sights and places also makes a trip unforgettable.
- 'Beautiful' and 'fun' were the most mentioned words when asked to describe unforgettable experiences.
Copyright 2022 GetYourGuide. All rights reserved. From https://www.getyourguide.com.