October 06, 2020
Travel Intentions Pulse Survey - Impact of COVID-19
The MMGY Travel Intelligence team conducts an ongoing tracking survey to monitor the impact of COVID-19 on the travel intentions of U.S. business and leisure travelers. This survey measures current and future traveler sentiment amid the COVID-19 pandemic and tracks trends and shifts in travel intentions. The study polls respondents for both domestic and international travel intent by purpose and type.
Key Findings from Wave IX of the study:
- While half of respondents are still “somewhat” concerned about contracting the virus, the percentage who are “extremely” concerned dropped from 31% to 26%.
- Respondents’ likelihood to take a domestic leisure trip during the next six months reached another high, with 45% (top-two box %) reporting they are at least somewhat likely to do so, up from 41% last month.
- The likelihood of taking an international leisure trip during the next six months also reached a new high, with 25% of respondents now likely to do so, up from 18% last month.
- The likelihood of staying in a hotel/resort or vacation home/condo increased from last month, up 2 and 4 points, respectively.
- One-quarter (23%) of respondents are likely to visit a theme park during the next six months – the highest incidence observed since the survey’s inception in March.
- The likelihood of participating in various entertainment activities during the next six months, including attending an outdoor concert/festival or an outdoor sporting event, increased.
- The availability of a vaccine would have the greatest impact on respondents’ decisions about future travel. Consent to receive the vaccine remains problematic, however: Half of respondents (49%) would wait at least a few months to get it, while 11% state they would not consent to being vaccinated at all.
- Respondents are increasingly receptive to attractive travel deals: 39% report “great travel deals” would influence their decision to travel, up from 33% last month.
Copyright 2020 MMGY Global Travel Safety Barometer. All rights reserved. From https://www.mmgyintel.com.
To view all articles, check out the
Internet Travel Monitor Archive